Research shows that correct exercise prescription plays an important role in the prevention of cancer, specifically colorectal, breast and endometrial cancer. There is also emerging evidence associated with the reduced risk of other cancers such as prostate, lung and ovarian cancer when prescribed the right exercise.
Our Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) may assist you during and post cancer treatment. We will work with you to prescribe and plan an individualised exercise program. This program will be dependent on your previous and planned treatment; disease and treatment-related risk factors; symptoms and any other health conditions, illness or injury.
Some benefits of exercise during and after your treatment:
- Increased muscle strength, mass and physical function
- Increased range of motion
- Improved immune function and chemotherapy completion rates
- Improved sense of body image, mood and wellbeing
Correct and individualised exercise prescription may reduce:
- Occurrence of secondary conditions such as anxiety and depression
- Severity of side effects of treatment such as pain, fatigue and nausea
Referrals and health fund rebates:
Referrals are not required for exercise physiology however you may be referred by:
- Private referrals
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Medicare (may be eligible for Enhanced Primary Care plan completed by a GP)
Health fund rebates are available if you are covered for exercise physiology services.
More information and making an appointment:
For more information about exercise and managing cancer, Cancer Council Australia has put out an interesting article “Every cancer patient should be prescribed exercise medicine“.
To make an appointment with our AEP, Nilusha, please book online or call 9830 7044.
For further information, please contact:
Nilusha will work with you to manage your chronic diseases and injuries using exercise and movement. There is a large preventative aspect to exercise physiology and this is what she enjoys and sees much benefit from.
About Spring Osteo Clinic
Spring Osteo Clinic is located on Whitehorse Road, Surrey Hills, Victoria. We aim to relieve, manage and prevent your muscle and joint pain by offering exercise physiology, osteopathy, myotherapy, remedial massage and Pilates. We take a holistic approach to your treatment by reviewing your direct problem area as well as assessing your whole body and lifestyle. This helps us to understand the cause of your problem and find ways for you to gain immediate and long-term relief; offer preventative solutions; and equip you with pain management skills. We can treat you through many stages of life including babies and children; teenagers with study strains; athletes – beginner to professional; pregnant women and new mums; tradesmen and desk bound workers with postural complaints and more.
Our Exercise Physiologist use exercise and movement for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries, providing support for you, if you have (but not limited to):
- Cardiopulmonary diseases: Hypertension, Atherosclerosis, Coronary Artery Diseases (CAD), heart failure and peripheral vascular diseases
- Pulmonary diseases: Asthma and COPD
- Metabolic conditions: Overweight, Obesity, Diabetes, pre-Diabetes and high cholesterol
- Musculoskeletal: Low back pain, joint pain, osteoporosis and osteopenia
- Neuromuscular conditions: Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury, Parkinson’s disease, MS, cerebral palsy, etc.
- Sport-related rehabilitation: Muscle strains, ligament tear, tendinopathy and fractures
- Age-related improvement: Balance improvement, sarcopenia and functional movement screening
- Fitness assessment: Flexibility, strength and VO2max assessment.