Injuries can be a frustrating part of our daily lives and can take place easily at work, sport or play. How you manage them immediately afterwards has a huge impact on your recovery and the tissue damage that occurs. So, what do you do when you injure yourself? You follow the RICER injury solution method.
RICER for the first 48 hours. This means:
- REST the injured part to prevent further damage. This means stopping work or sport immediately.
- ICE the injured area for 15-20 minutes every 30-60 minutes to reduce bleeding and swelling. Wrap the ice pack in a wet cloth to avoid ice burn.
- COMPRESSION also helps to reduce swelling and bleeding so wrap a bandage around the area if possible.
- ELEVATE the injured part so the blood flows away from it.
- REFER to us at Spring Osteo Clinic for assessment and treatment of your injury to assist with a speedy recovery. We can refer you to scans, xrays, a doctor or specialist if we think it’s required.
If you have any questions about the RICER injury solution or you have sustained an injury and need some assistance, please call the clinic on 03 9830 7044.